Hersey Scholarship Info
updated February 2017
Below, you will find important information regarding the Hersey Bequest Scholarships for attending camps at Ferry Beach. Below you will find info on the scholarships themselves, as well as which camps you can use the scholarship money for, how to make payments, and how to register. Please be sure to fill out the Scholarship form and return it as soon as possible.
Hersey Bequest Adult Scholarship
The Hersey Bequest Fund will allow one Adult Scholarship per family. UUSB Members will need to cover $300 of the FB registration fee (payable to UUSB or directly to Ferry Beach), the balance will be covered by Hersey Funding. Non UUSB Members will need to cover 50% of FB registration fee, with the balance being covered by Hersey Funding. Please give all checks directly to Karen Childs - DO NOT put them in the collection plates.
Any additional adults from the same family must register for and directly pay Ferry Beach the full Ferry Beach cost. See their website or call their registration line for more details.
Hersey Bequest Teacher Scholarship
For their service to our Community, the Hersey Bequest Fund offers a scholarship to our Religious Education Teachers. Teachers will need to cover $175 of the FB registration fee (payable to UUSB), the balance will be covered by Hersey Funding. Non UUSB Members will need to cover 50% of FB registration fee, with the balance being covered by Hersey Funding. Teacher Scholarships may be used in addition to, or instead of, the Adult Scholarship. Please give all checks directly to Karen Childs.
Hersey Bequest Youth Scholarship
Youth, ages 9-18, are covered, in full, for one week of camp at Ferry Beach. Children 0-8 years old are free.
Program Eligibility and Administration
Youth are eligible for Hersey funding to cover one week at Ferry Beach (FB) if they:
- Are registered in the UUSB Religious Education (RE) program for the current year, and
- Are between the ages of 9 and 18 years old (8 and under are free), and
- Regularly attend the program in which they are enrolled.
While it is hard to put a number on what “regular participation” means, we want to be sure to be inclusive of families that may have custodial restrictions that inhibit their attendance of our RE program. As such, we have placed a 50% attendance requirement of the RE days offered from September through May.
Please do not use this number as your end goal. We strive to have a thriving RE Community and this can only occur if we all come together regularly to be in community with one another. If you are unsure of whether or not your youth is eligible, or if there are extenuating circumstances you would like to share, please speak with Karen Childs or a member of the Hersey Bequest Trustees.
Please note that all co-pay checks need to be given to Karen Childs, directly. Please DO NOT put them in the offering plate. You may pay your entire co-pay at once, or if need be, we can construct an alternative payment arrangement. If you are in need of a partial scholarship, please contact a member of the Hersey Bequest Trustees. All co-payments must be paid, in full, by May 1, 2016.
Additional program fees for specific camps, such as for rental of bicycles or canoes, room upgrades, registration of additional family members, linens, etc. are the responsibility of the participant and payment arrangements must be made with Ferry Beach.
Eligible Ferry Beach camps include: Kids for the Earth, Different Drummers, Fuuture, EcoSpirit Week, and Family and Friends.
YOU are responsible for REGISTERATION and/or CANCELLATIONS with Ferry Beach.
- Please let them know when you call, that you are from UUSB. Do not register via their website as they require a down payment to complete the online registration.
- If you wish to use Hersey Bequest funds to pay for Ferry Beach registration fees, you must apply for the Scholarship. Please fill in the Hersey Bequest Scholarship form and turn it in to Karen Childs.
- Final determination of scholarship approval/denial will be made by May 15, 2016. If your scholarship is denied, based on not meeting the above requirements, you are responsible for either paying Ferry Beach directly, or calling Ferry Beach to cancel. Fees may incur for a delay in your cancellation.
- Please see the Ferry Beach Website or call them directly for more details. Their registration office phone number is: (207) 282-4489(207) 282-4489 and website: www.ferrybeach.org
If you have additional questions, please ask Karen Childs, DRE or a memeber of the Hersey Bequest Trustees.